Strand Math Sample
Level 4 Achievement Objectives:
Statistical investigation
Plan and conduct investigations using the statistical enquiry cycle:
determining appropriate variables and data collection methods
gathering, sorting, and displaying multivariate category, measurement, and time-series data
to detect patterns, variations, relationships, and trends
comparing distributions visually
communicating findings, using appropriate displays.
a) Make three statements above the information presented in the graphs above.
In the histogram, it displays all reaction data, but in the other graph it shows the most common reaction lengths, leaving out the other data.
PERSONAL REFLECTION:
This term I enjoyed maths, as I re-learnt multiple things, which included how to figure out the Mode, Median, Range and Mean of a group of numbers. My next step is to memorise how to work them out so I can use them whenever I would like.
Plan and conduct investigations using the statistical enquiry cycle:
determining appropriate variables and data collection methods
gathering, sorting, and displaying multivariate category, measurement, and time-series data
to detect patterns, variations, relationships, and trends
comparing distributions visually
communicating findings, using appropriate displays.
Statistical literacy
Evaluate statements made by others about the findings of statistical investigations and probability activities.
1. Using a 30-centimetre ruler, work with a classmate to test your reaction times. Get your classmate to hold the top end of the ruler while you position your thumb and forefinger alongside the 0 centimetre mark at the bottom. Do not grip the ruler. Without warning, your classmate lets the ruler go. As soon as this happens, you grab it. Measure, to the nearest millimetre, the length that has passed through your fingers.
a) Do this 10 times and record the details. You can take a photo of your recordings and insert it below
b) Work out the mean, median, and mode for the data you have collected.
Show your working.
Each student gives their median reaction length in centimetres.
Mele and Louise draw a histogram and a box-and-whisker plot of the median reaction length for all the students in their class.
Evaluate statements made by others about the findings of statistical investigations and probability activities.
1. Using a 30-centimetre ruler, work with a classmate to test your reaction times. Get your classmate to hold the top end of the ruler while you position your thumb and forefinger alongside the 0 centimetre mark at the bottom. Do not grip the ruler. Without warning, your classmate lets the ruler go. As soon as this happens, you grab it. Measure, to the nearest millimetre, the length that has passed through your fingers.
a) Do this 10 times and record the details. You can take a photo of your recordings and insert it below
b) Work out the mean, median, and mode for the data you have collected.
Show your working.
Mean : 2.6 + 14.6 + 4.4 + 16.7 + 5.4 + 12.6 + 3.2 + 8 + 13.4 + 8.3 = 89.2 ÷ 10 = 8.2
Median : I ordered the numbers from lowest to highest and found that the median was 8.15
Mode : The number 8 is displayed the most throughout the data I collected.
2. Mele and Louise are trying to make sense of the reaction data for their whole class.Median : I ordered the numbers from lowest to highest and found that the median was 8.15
Mode : The number 8 is displayed the most throughout the data I collected.
Each student gives their median reaction length in centimetres.
Mele and Louise draw a histogram and a box-and-whisker plot of the median reaction length for all the students in their class.
a) Make three statements above the information presented in the graphs above.
- The most common reaction length is between 17 and 20
- 4 peoples reaction length is between 15 and 16
- Data was collected from 20 people
In the histogram, it displays all reaction data, but in the other graph it shows the most common reaction lengths, leaving out the other data.
PERSONAL REFLECTION:
This term I enjoyed maths, as I re-learnt multiple things, which included how to figure out the Mode, Median, Range and Mean of a group of numbers. My next step is to memorise how to work them out so I can use them whenever I would like.


Emma, you are able to read and interpret a variety of graphs. You can find the mean, median and mode for a set of data. Your next step is to show your working when performing calculations and create your own graphs using data.
ReplyDelete